How Heart Patients Can Benefit from Prevention Diagnostics with PerioSafe DR
How Mouth-Healthy Are Your Heart Patients?
Health Starts in the Mouth
Recent epidemiological studies have shown that chronic inflammatory periodontal diseases are associated with the progression of cardiovascular diseases. One possible mechanism is the infiltration of oral/periodontal pathogens through the inflamed gingival epithelium and the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines into the bloodstream. There, they trigger a cascade of inflammatory reactions that damage the cardiovascular system.
Many international studies have shown connections between periodontal diseases and
- heart attack and stroke
- peripheral vascular disease
- heart failure and atrial fibrillation
- metabolic syndrome
Is Treatment Necessary?
Yes, for patients with cardiovascular diseases and patients with elevated cardiovascular risk because …
- consistent, persuasive epidemiological evidence indicates that periodontitis increases the risk of future cardiovascular diseases (Tonetti 2013).
- among men over 50 years of age, the risk of developing coronary heart disease is 72% higher for those with periodontitis than for those without (Dhadse 2010).
- the severity and progression of cardiovascular diseases may be negatively impacted by chronic oral inflammations.
Detect Risks with PerioSafe
A recent systematic analysis of clinical trials demonstrated that periodontal treatment has a positive effect on some inflammation parameters that serve as markers for cardiovascular risk. These include CRP, TNF alpha, and Interleukin 6 (Roca-Millan 2018).
A consensus panel of the EFP (European Federation of Periodontology) and AAP (American Academy of Periodontology) concluded that patients and physicians should be informed that periodontal treatment can hinder the development or progression of cardiovascular diseases (Tonetti 2013).
With PerioSafe DR – the world’s first oral immunological prevention diagnostic – cardiologists and other specialists can now simply test their patients for hidden inflammation in their own clinics. As a check-up tool to identify patients at risk of periodontitis, PerioSafe DR is an ideal enhancement of prevention programs run by cardiology clinics.
Detect Risks with PerioSafe
The Benefits of PerioSafe
- PerioSafe DR can detect periodontal tissue breakdown that may still be reversible, i.e. before the gums become clinically notable
- PerioSafe DR is ideally suited to patients with a previous cardiovascular history and with an increased risk of cardiac and vascular disease.
- PerioSafe DR is easy and reliable to use in internal medicine clinics (saliva sample)
The PerioSafe oral health test is suitable for …
- Patients with cardiovascular risks
- Patients with atherosclerosis
- Patients with heart failure
- Patients with peripheral vascular disease
- Patients with a previous cardiovascular history, e.g. heart attack or stroke
- All patients who want to take more active preventive action to protect their (oral) health
What to do if the result is positive
If the result is positive, the patient will need to be referred to a periodontist or dentist specializing in periodontology, as part of an interdisciplinary approach. The possible risks associated with early-stage or manifestly chronic periodontal inflammation should be explained to the patient in the context of their individual health situation.
You can download patient brochures in our download area.
Become a PerioPrevention Center Now and Receive the PPC Quality Seal for Your Clinic
The PPC quality seal (Perio Prevention & Oral Anti-Aging Center) is the mark of quality for dental clinics that specially focus on prevention and have certification in the area of immunological diagnostic technology. More than 300 PPCs across Europe use the latest saliva diagnostic technology to guarantee the best possible preservation of natural teeth, protection of implants and maintenance of general health.